Monday, April 13, 2009

The Holy Thursday That Was

Hello everyone! How was your Holy Week vacation? It was great for us here. We spent three days in San Fabian Beach in Pangasinan. We left our place in the early morning of Holy Thurday. Along the way to our destination, we saw these men doing some penitential acts. One was carrying a big heavy cross while the others were whipping their backs with thorny whips until their backs were bleeding. This Pinoy customs are still very much seen around here during Holy Weeks especially on Holy Thursdays and Good Fridays. I thought we would see some real nailing on the cross on Good Friday that passed, but there was none in Pangasinan. I’ve heard it happens in Pampanga but we haven’t had time for it. I wonder what made these men wanting to go through this difficult ordeal. The Catholic Church are opposed to this tradition, however, to this men, perhaps they think their sins would be washed away by their penitential acts. Do you think so too?








9 Comentários:

misty said...

I think if you do it heartily, it does wash away your sins... sabi nga sa afith yan diba?

Chubskulit Rose said...

Oh wow, matagal na akong di nakakita ng ganya tita beng..

ryliej said...

I think even just a sincere prayer will do..

john said...

I think repentance in public is less effective than you repent inside your heart and to the place where no one sees it..

dhemz said...

wowwwee...tumataas balhibo ko....hehehe....Thanks for sharing Tbeng, musta na po? miss to hear from you..thanks for leaving a comment...much appreciated....honga pala te..ask ako ng favor to change my blog url to : http://demcyapdiandias.blogspot.com/

salamat po...ingat..thanks for sharing..the last time I saw this was when I went to pamapanga.

Sandi said...

I don't think it's necessary to wash away sins. Jesus did all that. I suppose they are humbling themselves by doing this, or that's what they are trying to do...but I think prayer and repentance are all that is needed.

Mira said...

I don't think one needs to go to this elaborate penitential act to wash away the sins.

Marites said...

Been a long time since i've seen this. But each time, I cannot help but cringe at their self-flaggelation. I don't think God would've approved. Sincerity in changing one's way is enough.

By the way, thanks for dropping by my blog:)

PinayWAHM said...

Naku I have not seen 'penitensya' in ages. Inaabangan ko yan sa harap ng bahay namin when I was younger....tapos susundan namin hanggan simbahan.

Hay...kaka miss ang aking kabataan.

Lapit na naman weekend.

J

Beyond My Quiet Zone © 2009. Template by Dicas Blogger. Header design by www.VirtualExecutiveAssistant.com.