Monday, May 4, 2009

Climbing Up Mt. Samat

Saturday, May 2 was a free day for us. My family,( together with my M-i-l and S-i-l) trekked the three hour and a half trip to Mount Samat and view the Bataan Peninsula and Manila Bay from atop the huge cross. We reached the foot of the mountain at around 9:00am and saw a lot of hikers climbing up the road. I wonder if these youngsters knew what they’re doing coz I understand, it’s more or less ten kilometers from the foot of the mountain that ascends to the top where the cross is standing. Anyway, we strolled at the park, enjoying the view and took the elevator inside the huge cross until we reached the lounge area which is actually the horizontal arm of the cross. The view from atop is exhilarating whilst feeling the strong gust of the wind. I've been enjoying the stroll that I forgot to go to the museum that displays war memorabilia. M-i-l enjoyed the place once again. This is a scenic place to bring the children to have fun and learn history as well.

Here's a brief info on Phil. History
Mount Samat is a mountain in the Town of Pilar, Province of Bataan, Republic of the Philippines that is the site of the Dambana ng Kagitingan or "Shrine of Valor". Along with the island fortress of Corregidor, Mount Samat was the site of the most vicious battle against the Japanese Imperial Army in 1942 during the Battle of Bataan. Suffering heavy losses against the Japanese, Filipino and American soldiers retreated to Bataan Peninsula to regroup for a last valiant but futile stand. This retreat to Bataan is part of a United States strategy known as War Plan Orange. After fierce battle lasting 3 days, 78,000 exhausted, sick and starving men under Major General Edward P. King surrendered to the Japanese on April 9, 1942. It was, and still is, the single largest surrender of U.S. and Philippine Forces ever. These forces were then led on the Bataan Death March.

The mountain is now a war memorial. A huge white cross stands as a mute but eloquent reminder of the men who died there. It also acts as a tourist attraction with a war museum nearby that has a wide array of displays from paintings of the Philippine heroes to armaments used by the American, Filipino and Japanese forces during the heat of the battle. (taken from wikipedia)


The cross as viewed from afar.

The signage that points the way.

The start of the ascend to the Memorial Cross.

The base of the huge memorial cross



At the lounge atop the cross.

At the other "arm" of the cross.

The top view of the Dambana Facade.

Giving my best pose against the giant cross.
Can you see me? he he..

19 Comentários:

Umma said...

Grabe ka talaga Te beng.. dami nyong lakwatsa. kakainggit..dami mo nang places na napuntahan. Ako, only Manila sa airport napuntahan ko everytime I visit Phils.

Asian Traveler said...

I don't know about Mt. Samat but your set of photographs seems very interesting. Love the scenery and you look a tiny beautiful creature beside the giant cross. :)

Beth said...

Ate Beng, been there twice na! ang ganda ng view di ba? nkakatuwa kasi kita halos buong Bataan pag andun ka na sa loob ng cross.

I think pwde naman iakyat ung car pataas e, sa likod meron daanan. :)

pero we still trekked and had fun! nakakapagod esp the stairs pero sulit naman, exercise pa! :)

namiss ko yan, sana makpunta ako uli! :)

foongpc said...

Oh, I think I would love to climb this mountain! I think I have seen the picture of this cross before and those figures at the base of the cross somewhere. Maybe in another blog.

Btw, thanks for dropping by my blog and linking me. I've linked you too : )

Do you have another blog? Cos if you do, I prefer to link to that blog, so that we both benefit from one way link. If you don't already know, one way link is more valuable and can increase your page rank faster than two way links. Let me know, yes? : )

out of the blue said...

wow, ganda naman. never been there pero kaya ko kaya umakyat. cool, may elevator pa sa loob. sana makapunta din kami dyan.

Eds said...

Hi! We've been to Mt. Samat too last March and boy ang hirap pag akyat ha! Sumakit ng todo ang hita ko hehe :)But it's all worth it db?

escape said...

wow! i just saw it from afar when we once passed by bataan. three hours pala hike? wow!

ßrigida ∫chmidt © Copyright said...

I couldn't agree more to what everybody said here. BTW, is that you, the little subject, standing on the foot of the giant cross? Just to let you know, I noticed even the smallest thing here in your blog :) Nice trip!

I am doing fine. Thanks for asking! I hope all is well with your family too.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow, ganda naman dyan Tita Beng, dami talagang scenic spots sa Pinas noh... Did you get tired climbing hehehe..

misty said...

Sana makapunta din ako dyan tita beng hehehe..

john said...

Oh wow, that's a very beautiful place... stunning view!

Gorgeous MUM said...

Wishing to go there one day!

Btw, 2 more sleeps and it's Mother's Day! Have a great one!

Gorgeous MUM said...

Thanks for the comment about my crazy attempt of salvaging my son's hair!

PinayWAHM said...

Hi Ate Beng...

I can see you at the foot of the cross but barely...hehehe...

Happy Mother's day in advance...

J

Dhemz said...

wow tebeng,this is gorgeous....can't believe it...how I wish I could go there...I agree with Umma...dami nyo lakwatsa...hehehe..sama ako next time...hehehe! thanks for sharing...Advance Happy Mother's Day!

Beng said...

tagal ko na wish mapunta dyan!

Jade said...

Wow I wish I can go there too...hay I wanna do too many things. Isa isa muna noh;)

Marites said...

10 kms? gee, we went to Mt. Samat a few years back and almost did all the 10 kms. thankfully, we were able to hitch a ride going up. When it was time to go home, we had to walk down the mountain and thankfully again, we were able to hitch a ride again. The experience made me appreciate the Bataan March all the more coz it was almost at the same time as the Bataan March's anniversary. Sweltering hot, humid day. My admiration and respect to our WWII veterans has increased manifold due to that experience.

Nance said...

wow, i learned a lot from your blog! i've heard of the Bataan death march before but didn't know that it's now one of our tourist attractions...salamat!

Beyond My Quiet Zone © 2009. Template by Dicas Blogger. Header design by www.VirtualExecutiveAssistant.com.