Friday, September 12, 2008

Better on the second try

I was again in the mood to pull out the pan and mess up the kitchen. Though it was still a weekday, daughter was off from work and surprisingly hanged around the house the whole day. Son was in and out of the house. Hubby arrived home by dinner time. On days like this, there’d got to be some foodstuff stashed in the ref or served on the kitchen counter. Yes, there’d got to be! But unfortunately, I haven’t gone out of the house yet to pick some grocery fares. I really was so lazy the past days and I felt like I don’t wanna depart from my computer anymore. But yesterday, it was out of the ordinary. My craving for delicious food never ends. I am blaming it to AFC’s (Asian Food Channel) Cable TV program this time. Food, food, and more yummy food, all delicious treats you can find there. So now, after seeing some appetizing cuisine, I ended up cooking Carbonara, a pasta recipe with white sauce. I had no real recipe for this. It was all experimentation. I have tried it before but I used the wrong ingredients and understandably got a poor review from my bosses in the house. On its second try, sans the bacon et al,(fyi, I don’t eat pork) it received a good significant mark from the jury. Once more, there's no measuring done. Just some estimation and blending of ingredients together. Here’s how i did it.


My own version of Carbonara:


Ingredients:


  • Spaghetti noodles
  • Evaporated Milk
  • Nestle Cream
  • Butter
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Olive Oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Chicken breast- shredded
  • Canned button mushroom (sliced)
  • Crispy chicken skin(bacon substitute)
  • Cheddar cheese (plenty of it)
  • Salt or Patis (fish sauce)
  • Parsley

Procedure:


Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Drop the shredded chicken breast. Mix a heaping tbsp of butter. Place the mushrooms, sprinkle with dash of ground pepper. Simmer for a while. Then pour the Evaporated Milk followed by Nestle Cream. Sprinkle with salt or drops of patis (fish sauce) to taste, If the sauce thickens, drop part of parsleys and pour over cooked spaghetti noodles or blend and simmer shortly. Arrange on a plate and garnish with cheese, some crunchy chicken skins and the remaining parsley.

Here’s the finished project:


Note: The photo was taken by daughter on her Kuya's share. May not look inviting but taste A-ok. (Nah!)


12 Comentários:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ika Devita Susanti said...

wow.!! looks delicious.. yummy:D:D

Ciela said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Kikey Loo said...

thanks for the recipe... will try when i am free...

Ken said...

Nakakagutom. Pinoy talaga ang dating. Which reminds me, I gotta go to lunch!

raquel said...

hah! carbonara...we just had pasta so i have to try this some other time. Kim is the one who is an expert in Carbonara. Looks yummy!!!!Watch for my next experiment---SUGAR FREE MOONCAKES!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks delectable. Can I have some? :)

Ken said...

I tried this today. It was good, really for Pinoy taste (kasi ang ibang carbonara diyan, bland ang taste).

BTW, I posted a beef broccoli recipe in my carinderia blog ... you might want to try it too. madali lang siya.

Anonymous said...

oh my! i so love pasta... although i'd prefer tomato sauce, but your carbonara looks great, i'd love some

:P

Anonymous said...

wow, mukhang masarap yan tita beng.

Mira said...

I have one recipe too of this that I've been dying to try, this one looks good. Hey Tita Beng I have a meme for you, http://www.i-exhale.com/2008/09/six-things-about-me.html so I'll know you more ;-)

Dhemz said...

nako..sarap naman nito...patikim keya..heheh!

Beyond My Quiet Zone © 2009. Template by Dicas Blogger. Header design by www.VirtualExecutiveAssistant.com.