Thursday, August 11, 2011

Old friends meet again

Thanks to the internet!  I found a long lost friend through FB.  She was an officemate, a “barkada” (a close friend) a witness to our civil wedding, which goes to say that she is our Ninang and also a secondary sponsor in our church wedding.   I’ve long been searching for her and other friends in the net but so far, found only her and few other friends whom we have spent carefree youthful moments together.  Sadly, one or two have already passed away and one girl friend seems not be interested in us anymore.  The cold shoulder response really breaks my heart!  Well anyway, my friend and I finally met again after more than three decades of no communication.  I learned they are now based in Guam and periodically visit the country for business matters.  We agreed to meet at the Dusit Thani Hotel Lobby last Saturday night with our husbands then proceed to RJ Bistro which is now housed in the hotel. 

Three decades passed stealthily.  You can just imagine the transformation of two young girls in their  early and mid-20’s to oldie moms now in their golden years.  Haha!.. I know, the lines on our faces betray the years that passed by.   Hmmn... but who cares?! Not the two of us that I know of!  Honestly though,  I truly appreciate the sight of her. I know I have really missed her along with the time we spent with other remarkable people that touched our lives.  It was one stage of my youthful life that I sincerely loved and enjoyed.  The active, fun days of 70-‘s ...disco hopping, ...movie watching, ...baseball and basketball games cheering, ...night swimming, ...bump car rides in the then newly opened Harizon Plaza, and  many other  "happenings" which is now referred to as "gimiks" of todays' generation!
 
I still yearn to be in those places we used to frequent but more likely than not, some of those don't exist anymore.  I only wish I could have a time machine to traverse me back to that period of joyful camaraderie, and special bonds we once had.  It was indeed one hell of a time for us! 

With all those reminiscences...  this Beatles song comes to mind.  I feel a slight pinch in my heart as I listen to it!     Oh yeah,  ...I know I'll often stop and think about them..!  ...In my life...



Have a wonderful week everyone!

16 Comentários:

Clara said...

It's always nice to be reunited with old friends.

I have yet to meet friends who I lived with in our dorm. We haven't seen each other for decades, too, and I look forward to seeing them when I get well.

Although they're a thousand miles away, Facebook was there to reunite us, too, and helped me now during these time of my life.

Unknown said...

I like that song by The Beatles, which was also sung by Bette Midler in a movie starring her and Barbara Hershey, Beaches.

PinayWAHM said...

oohh...I like that song. Ay naku Ate Beng...I can so relate. I found a lot of friends sa FB but because of distance...reunions like the one you just had with a good friend eh medyo malabo for now. Hopefully one these days eh mangyari din yan sa akin.

Harizon Plaza [HP ang tawag namin dati dyan...ngayon it stands for Harry Potter or Hewlett Packard na...haha] was my hangout in college kasi walking distance lang from St Scho. Hay naku...those were the days...

Happy Friday na dyan...

Huling

Ciela said...

@Clara: You're right, it's really nice to be with old friends and talk about the good old days. hehe..

Yes, the internet especially FB is such a big help in reuniting us with friends. Good for you that even if you're away from your own friends you are still in touch with them and be of help to you. You're lucky to have them.

Get well soon Clara and have a restful day!

Ciela said...

@batangala: Oh yes, I've heard/seen that version too. I love it but has no lyrics. The reason why I used this Beatles version.

Have a nice weekend!

Ciela said...

@PinayWAHM: Uy, explored mo rin pala ang HP. Kahit nga di pa dati totally complete yun, palagi na kaming laman nun. hihi..I remember pa nga lagi rin dun noon sila Vic Sotto. ayayay.. kwento galore na ko. can't help e.. imagine, ang mga Kulasang tulad mo sa HP din pala naglalamyerda dati! Inabot mo pa ba nung maganda pa sya, nung medyo class pa ng konti? Now kasi ampangit na.

Sana nga you can have the chance to meet your old friends. Nothing like talking about the good old days with someone who had shared those memorable days with you. Come home na kasi!

Have a restful weekend Huling! Ingat!

PinayWAHM said...

Oh yes...I saw the 'sosyal' na HP kasi medyo bago bago pa rin lang nga nun...that was in the mid to late 80s. Last time I passed by HP was in the late 90s...medyo dilapidated na nga sya nun so I can only imagine kung ano ng itsura nun ngayon.

Hopefully nga at restful ang aming weekend. M has to work so kaming 2 ng bata eh sa bahay lang magpapalipas ng Saberdey. Sundey...baka maglakwatsa...kung asa mood...hehe.

Enjoy the weekend as well...

Huling

Ciela said...

@PinayWAHM: I'm sure sosyal pa sya nung pinupuntahan ng nga sosyal na kolehiyala ng St Scho tulad mo. I can only imagine how pretty you are in your white and blue uniform.

Believe naman ako kay M sa kasipagan!
Pati Saberdey, work pa rin. Di bale, bawi na lang kayo ng Sunday.

Relax and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Even though people say a lot of bad things with FB there are a lot of good things with it and one is this one finding old friends, even communicating with them makes it more easier.

J said...

hala at nag reminisce sa mga dating tagpuan hahaha.

Dusit was our temporary home when we were there and was at the RJ bistro for a couple of nights.

wala akong FB. ganun ako ka anti- social hahaha. kidding aside, I purposely didn't want to create an account kasi baka ma-hook ako at wala na akong magawang iba hahaha.

have a dry and great week ahead Tita B. take care.

Ciela said...

@angsarap: I agree with you Raymund. I love FB although sometimes, FB chats lead to some misunderstood words. So better to always be off line. hehe..

Ciela said...

Yes J,ganun yata talaga pag tumatanda na eh! Great feeling to go back to the good old days. haha..

Nice to hear that you spent couple of nights in RJ Bistro. Nag-enjoy ba naman si F dun?

Correct! Medyo naka-addict nga lng ang FB. Lol!

Sana nga it would be dry here all through out the coming week. Ingat din J!

Dhemz said...

I like that song too...sarap balik balikan...the good ol' days!

sabi nga sa Facebook tagline...Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life....hehehhee....:)

salamat po sa dalaw titaBeng...hope all is well!

Ciela said...

@Dhemz: Glad to know you like that song too! Tama ka Dhemz, sarap balik balikan lalo na pag umabot na sa age namin. Iba kasi ang panahon ng kabataan. Kaya enjoy your life now while your young. Mabilis ang panahon! hehe..

Thanks too for the time. Ingat!

PinayWAHM said...

Napadaan here on a Wednesday.

Di pa nga ako citizen dito. I've been eligible since 2005 pa ata. Di ko naman kasi papakinabangan unless I travel a lot or there's someone I want to petition. M wants me to apply na para daw I can vote already....hehe. Law abiding citizen asawa ko kasi he votes in all the elections - pati sa primary.

Lapit na naman weekend. Kaya ata tamad ako magtrabaho ulit eh...kasi ang iniisip ko pahinga na....hahaha.

Enjoy the rest of the week...

Huling

Beth said...

Ate beng, sa tutoo lang, thankful din ako sa FB kasi dami ko nakitang mga friends dati and marami din nakakita sa akin dun. Nakaktuwang isipin that after so many years, e connected pa din kayo, khit thru hearts lang, i know you know what i mean by that hehehe.

I love this song, me kurot tlaga sa puso. ayan, nalungkot tuloy ako. lalo at aalis na ako dito... waaah!!!

Beyond My Quiet Zone © 2009. Template by Dicas Blogger. Header design by www.VirtualExecutiveAssistant.com.