Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fish Kilawin (Pickled Fish)

I haven't gone to the wet market for quite sometime. We managed with whatever we could pick from the supermarket. Today being a Sunday, I got up from bed early to be at the market ahead of other customers. I long for fresh seafood and veggies. Hubby requested for fish and the big kiddos wanted some beef dish. Just before I enter the seafood section, hubby asked to make him a Fish Kilawin. Preferably, he wanted Kilawin Dalagang-bukid. Fortunately, there were very fresh Dalagang-bukid available. As soon as we arrived home, I worked on his request. And here is the Fish Kilawin I made. It’s so easy to make as it needs no cooking. In case you want to try this appetizer, here’s how.


Ingredients:

½ kilo fresh Dalagang-bukid (or any white meat salt water fish as long as it is fresh)

7 Tbsp white vinegar

Salt to taste

Dash of ground black pepper

½ tsp sugar

1 medium red onion – finely chopped

1 thumb size ginger – finely chopped

1 pc. Hot chili pepper (optional)

½ cup coconut cream

Procedure

Fillet the fish. Cut in small cubes. Place in a mixing bowl. Incorporate all the next 7 ingredients. Mix and let stand for at least 2-3 hours. The one I made has no coco cream simply because I forgot to buy coconut from the market. It would have been tastier if coco cream is present. Nevertheless, with or without coco cream, it got a thumb’s up from the one who requested it. That’s enough reward for me.


I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead!


10 Comentários:

Tom D' Biker said...

Ang saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

Thank you!

J said...

yum, yum.... this is something that I can never make as critical yung freshness ng fish. dito kasi, who knows kung how long na nahuli yung isda bago makarating dito.

enjoy your week ahead!

juliana

Liz said...

Ang sarrrap nyan Tita Beng!

A Simple Life
Mommy's Little Corner
Moms... Check nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

foongpc said...

Never eaten fish kilawin before! It's an appetizer? Not a main dish?

PinayWAHM said...

O di ba....ang sarappp daw sabi nung nag request....hehehe. Kakatuwa naman si Kuya Tom....he obviously enjoyed his kilawin.

I took the picture down [isa lang naman] kasi baka makagalitan ako ni boss ko...at ng bata na din kasi she drops by my blog every now and then....

Have a great week Ate Beng...

J

PinayWAHM said...

Forgot to say...DALAGANG BUKID is my favorite fish!!! Whenever I was home nung college ako, my Tatang would buy A LOT of bukid [that's what he called them] just for me. Yung mga kapatid ko nag rereklamo kasi puro daw bukid ulam namin ng ilang araw...hahaha....

J

Lee said...

Hi Beng Gee, wow, you have a Black belt in cooking besides your photographic talents, ha ha.
I love this dish. Anymoreleft?
I'll take the bus over, ha ha.
By the way, if free pop back my place, got a last minute entry, 2nd paragraph from top, *wink*.
Mabuhay, Lee.

Chubskulit Rose said...

wahhh nakakamiss ang kinilaw heheheh..

[SK] said...

really doesn't need any cooking?? but the photo looks like the fish meat are cooked.. i've never tried this dish before, it links me to sashimi actually :)

alf said...

hay nakaka miss naman yang kilawin mo. sometimes i make kilawin din dito pero bihirang-bihira.

Beyond My Quiet Zone © 2009. Template by Dicas Blogger. Header design by www.VirtualExecutiveAssistant.com.