Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sixteen and victorious!

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer stage 3. Underwent chemotherapy and cobalt therapy and I was bald as a consequence of the former. While under chemo treatment, my skin, fingernails and toenails were blackened and I was very pale. Became very skinny like a broom stick. Would always be wearing my wig in and out of the house, despite the discomfort, coz I couldn't stand the sight of myself in the mirror looking horrendous and helpless. I couldn’t eat enough and was always puking. There were mornings when I wouldn’t want to stand up from bed no matter how much encouragement hubby would give me. He’d ask me to go shopping for my favorite stuff but I thought it would be useless thinking I would die anytime soon, anyway. Friends who visited me were not all helpful but rather made me feel worse. To tell someone who’s sick of cancer that you really pity her is not a consolation but rather a painful affirmation of hopelessness, I told them so and they were sorry. I did what has to be done. I followed each and every detail of doctor’s orders and prescriptions. I religiously guarded my health by having my routine check ups every year. I began to have a better view of what really life is. I read the book - Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale and it helped me a lot. I still remember a passage from it which says, “Your obstacles are present all right. They are not fanciful but they are not difficult as they seem. Your mental attitude is the most important factor. Believe that Almighty God has put in you the power to lift yourself out of the rough by keeping an eye firmly fixed in the source of your power.” In my case, I have been telling myself “Cancer is only in my mind. I think victory- I get victory!” I would also imagine my little kids then who were 10 and 6 years old to be grown-ups. I was doing it almost everyday and every night for years. Now, 16 years after my diagnosis on December 14, 1992, I am cancer free. I’m so grateful to live my second life and see my children mature. Life is full of obstacles but anything can be conquered if we will believe in the power of almighty God! I am very blessed to have survived Breast Cancer. Today is my sixteenth year anniversary of survival. ... Yes, sixteen and victorious! Thank GOD!

16 Comentários:

PinayWAHM said...

Congratulations!!!! Reading this make me feel grateful to know you kahit sa blogging world lang. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Sabi nga kahit isa lang ang ma inspire mo with your story, it will be worth it

Ingat lagi.

J

Anonymous said...

what an inspiring story...thx for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. An anniversary of the survival is worth blogging for surely it reflects the hope you have gathered while at it. More years to you!

Redge said...

What an inspiring post.. It will help enlighten ur readers.. All things are possible with God, and it happened to you..

raquel said...

I always laugh when i read your blog. today i cried. i just finished my class and felt great. and i am crying. because i am so happy. 16 years is a long time. every year, since i turned 30, i have a mammogram. even when the doctors here first told me no because i was too young. i insisted until i found one doctor who would. and just so you know, you did that. i was scared and that's good. so tonight i will have a glass of wine to celebrate your 16 years...and the next 16 years and the hope that one day, all it will take is a pill to eradicate breast cancer.

next year, i will walk at the 3-day breast cancer walk in san diego.

Ciela said...

@Juliana, Funny humor, Sheng and Redge - Thank you for your comments. My case is somehow a proof that Breast Cancer doesn't necessarily mean death. As what is said - "We all have our own plan but it's God's will that prevails.

Ciela said...

@Raquel-Thanks Jay! I'll open one of these bottles you handed me and let's toast. I know I scared you to death and I'm scared for Jaja too. I always remind her to be very cautious of carcinogenic food. I just pray that God will forbid this to happen to anyone of you, my loved ones. I think you're doin' the right thing to have a regular mammo. It's better to be vigilant than sorry.

I salute you for that benevolent endeavour. And to think that you even have to pay a big amount of fee to be able to join that 3day BC walk in San Diego?! 'Bless you!

DebbieDana said...

Hi ate Beng! PRAISE THE LORD!!!! Reading this post made me tear up! I admire your bravery and your great faith in our Lord. You're an inspiration. I hope all cancer victims will follow what you've been through! God bless you and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!


Debbie

PinayWAHM said...

Hi Ate Beng...

I'm back kasi I had the GREAT idea of tagging you...LOL! No pressures...

http://pinaywahm.com/2008/12/hubby-lists.html

J

Anonymous said...

Cheers for more Breast Cancer free years! I'm so glad that you survived it. God has been with you all these years. I'm with you as you celebrate life, faith and friendship! I love you, Tita Beng!

Anonymous said...

Indeed, God works in an amazing ways.

Ciela said...

@Debbie, Jacy and Asian Traveler - Thank you guys for all your well wishes. God works in amazing ways, indeed!

Mira said...

Tita Beng, what an inspiring story! I know you have shared about you having had cancer in one of your comments in my post, but its good to know the details of it. Praise God for your victory over C. I'm interested to read that book on Positive Thinking, thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Peaceful Blessings! Thank-you for sharing your story. Yes, there IS hope, even for the hopeless!

Pearl said...

What an inspiration, Tita BEng! I, am experiencing a very hard time (health wise) right now and I am so glad I met a survivor in you!
Proud of you! God is good!

Ciela said...

@Mira: Sorry that I've overlooked your comment. Thanks much! Also for keeping in touch despite your absence in the blogging world. Love you!

@Dave Lucas: I apologise for the super dooper late reply to your comment. Thank you, Mr. Dave! Pls know, I remain to be your fan!


@Pearl: Sorry to hear that you are at a difficult time now, healthwise. Just do what you think is best and combine it with prayers. With God's grace, you'll eventually get over it in victorious way too.

God bless you, Pearl! Warm hug to you!

Beyond My Quiet Zone © 2009. Template by Dicas Blogger. Header design by www.VirtualExecutiveAssistant.com.